05 Aug Why I LOVE Oil Pulling…
Recently, I’ve had quite a few people ask me what my opinion is on the practice of oil pulling, so I thought that I would share my thoughts on the subject by writing this blog.
There are two practices that deeply transformed my experience of my body in an ultra positive way. One was eliminating ALL lotions and using coconut oil on my skin instead. I began using oil instead of lotions on my skin 10 years ago after I was inspired by an article I read on Ayurvedic medicine and the power of self oil massage. I was instantly calmed by the soothing warm oil and noticed my skin starting to reap the bennefits as it began to develop a beautiful and radiant glow! My skin moisturizing motto became: “if it’s not something I would put into my body, I don’t want to slather the largest organ I have (my skin) with it!!” 😉
So, already a believer in the power of oil, when my yoga teacher suggested I try oil pulling, I was ready and excited to try it!
Personally, I noticed my mouth start to feel cleaner and healthier and my breath became fresher and sweeter. Another amazing, “side effect,” to letting this be something that I practice first thing in the morning, every morning, is that it allows my fiancé and I to spend 20 minutes together in silence first thing in the morning. I know that sounds like a small thing, but getting out of bed and instantly planning your day… talking about what you have to do and where you have to do it, takes precious energy that could otherwise be spent settling into a calm and peaceful state of mind and body.
On a scientific level it has been found that oil pulling helps combat gingivitis, plaque and the microorganisms that cause bad breathe, . This is becuase these single celled microorganisms are covered with a lipid, or fatty, membrane that naturally adheres to the coconut oil when the two come into contact with one another.
In my personal experience one of my favorite benefits is that it clears your sinuses and brings congestion that has accumulated in your throat to the surface to be eliminated with ease!
Are you ready to try it out???
How to oil pull:
1. Use a good quality Cocount Oil. I personally recommend Dr. Bronner’s Organic Fair Trade Virgin Coconut Oil.
2. Swish approximately 1 tablespoon in your mouth gently for 15-20 minutes.
Make sure to NOT spit it out in your sink as it could definitely clog your pipes.
3. A little side note for those of you with furry friends, dogs LOVE coconut oil and may raid your trash can if they smell it. 😉
4. Blow your nose and eliminate all mucous that has been cleared from your throat.
5. Rinse with warm water and make sure to not skip brushing and flossing as you want to make sure to remove all of the microorganisms and toxins that the oil has “pulled,” from your mouth.
6. Enjoy a fresh, clean and detoxified mouth!!
1. Colleen Oakley. “Should You Try Oil Pulling?” Webmd. Webmd Magazine Feature, 14 June 2014. Web. 5 August 2015.
2. My personal experience, but don’t take my word for it. Try it out for yourself!